Search This Blog

Thursday 14 January 2010

A new year, a new blog!



2010 is hear and what a start to a year.... snow, snow, snow! Never have I experienced such a disrupted period with weather. Travel has been delayed, postponed or cancelled. Training has been difficult, compromised or missed. But we are only on the 14th day of the New Year and I already have some really superb achievements to talk about.
Firstly, one of my coaching clients, Julie Deadman has PB'd once again. Julie had a superb 2009. She PB'd at 10k several times, half marathon and marathon. After a late season rest and then a re-focus, Julie grasped the bull by the horns to go for an early season PB at Nice 10k in preparation for Paris Marathon. I am pleased to eay that she pulled it off. Well done Julie.
On the same weekend, January 9th & 10th, I took 10 runners to the Thames Path for two days of running. The plan was simple. A marathon on Saturday from Henley on Thames to Windsor, overnight in Windsor and then re-trace on Sunday. Funny when you plan something a few months in advance, you always think that you may get thrown any sort of weather, however, although I thought snow was a possibility, I never expected such large volumes. Initial worries were on travel. Would we all make it... as it happens, we all did.
The running? Well, the running was superb. It was possibly two of the best days of running I have ever had. The snow was soft and white, slippery in places, but on the whole a joy to run on. The weather was cold but bright and clear. It was such a great experience. Many who took part were marathon novices, let alone back to back marathon runners. However, with a really controlled pace everyone ran beyond expectation. Our time for Saturday was 4hrs 05min and our time for Sunday was 4hrs 02min. Sunday was a much more controlled day using a strategy of 4 miles running, 2 min walking.
This week I haven't been able to run (on the road). Pavements have been way too slippery. However, I have done some great treadmill sessions. Tuesday I did 2 x 8 miles, Wednesday 7 miles and 4 miles and today, Thursday I ran 12 miles this morning and 3 miles recovery in the evening. I have been playing with pace doing specific times at marathon pace, marathon pace +1 and recovery running.
Looking forward I have several coaching days coming up for the Virgin London Marathon. I am working alongside Martin and Liz Yelling and we are doing structured workshops for Virgin and NSPCC building up to April. I am also providing a Q&A service for the NSPCC with answers posted on the website.
The weather unfortunately has meant the cancellation of the first weekend on Jan 16th. It has now been re-scheduled to the 30th which is great news. The only problem is that I should have been racing in Paris that day running a 55k from Paris to Mantes - C'est la vie.
I have re planned and entered the London Ultra 50k on Feb 13th. Not quite Paris but it will fill the gap.
More news to follow in the coming weeks, so, watch this space.
Fancy an ultra? Maybe think about the EcoTrail de Paris. We have places available for the 50k and 80k races. Go to www.runwildrunfree.co.uk
Alternatively if you fancy some great training and early season sun, why not consider our Lanzarote training camp. We have one apartment left for 2/3 people.
Catch u soon! Ian

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian

    Great idea to have a RW-RF blog for everyone to share their experiences and track progress!

    The Nice 10k was a race I'd had my eye on for a while - it's a perfect course and 10k is my favourite racing distance at the moment!

    Getting to Nice was a bit touch and go with the weather last week, but I eventually arrived on Saturday afternoon and it was great to get off the treadmill and out running on the Prom and soak up the atmosphere.

    Sunday morning was cold by Nice standards and a bit drizzly, but a world away from the snow and ice at home.

    The race had 5500 participants, 4000 guys and 1500 girls. Getting to target pace was impossible in the first KM due to the volume of runners, but after that, it was just a case of going for it.

    My recent training has been a blend of speed sessions and endurance which have, in turn, helped me to deal with the pain and fatigue of pushing limits during the middle part of the race.

    As well as the PB, I was delighted to be the first Brit home in the race. What's great about racing in France is the post race goodies! On Sunday, we were welcomed at the finish line with tables of chocolate, cake, coke and wine!

    I'll be back in France in a month's time for the Cannes Half Marathon, which I'm really looking forward to on the road to Paris.

    Thanks Ian for some great training sessions and inspiration!!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete