Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 May 2010

Recovery Time

I am in one of those funny phases of training. In many ways I am not training but recovering. The first 4 months of the year have been pretty hectic in terms of racing, training, travel and accumulated mileage.

I had always planned to build my training to the EcoTrail de Paris on March 20th. Although I wasn’t going to run this event at full tilt, I wanted to be in good shape for it. You can’t go into 50 mile races not feeling good.... however; my priority was to run well at Paris Marathon some 3 weeks after the EcoTrail. I found in 2009 that all the endurance that is accumulated in training for a 50 transfer’s really well o a fast marathon.

We know that speed work, threshold and race pace running contributes to a good performance. Ironically though for me, I find that running longer gets me in great shape for marathons. Even to the point that I run marathons regularly at a slower pace to contribute to this level endurance.

The week after EcoTrail I recovered and then ran a hard 18 miler 7 days later. This was actually a speed session for me as the middle 12 miles were at 6:40 pace. I then recovered again and started to add very specific mile repeats at faster than target marathon pace. I know, I know... you can’t expect to pull out speed work in just two weeks and hope that it works in a marathon. However, for me, this does work and certainly running Paris in 2:53 confirmed this. However secretly I wanted 2:49.

So taking an objective look I had to decide why I missed the pace. One mistake I made was relying on my Garmin for pace. I love my gadgets and I find the ‘on the go’ information of modern devices superb. During Paris I ran almost perfectly at 6:28 pace so I couldn’t understand how with approx 3 miles to go I was going to miss my objective. Ironically this information also coincided with my legs fading over the last two miles. Hence the 2:53 and not a 2:49.

Paris really did blast my legs and with London just two weeks later I had 4 days down time followed with some easy running and then some short pacier sessions. London in my ‘plan’ was going to be ‘just’ a marathon in prep for ‘Comrades’ in South Africa at the end of May. However, best laid plans needed to be changed and due to a whole series of events, my participation at Comrades was over 90% certainly not going to happen. I therefore decided to give London ‘a go’. I knew deep down that the chances of running at the required pace so soon after Paris was unlikely, but what did I have to lose.

AS my London blog tells you, I ran hard, ‘on pace’ until basically I faded. Crossing the line in 2:58 though was really pleasing. Yes I didn’t get 2:49 but I had run two sub 3’s within 14 days and I was only 4 mins apart between the two.

What did I learn? Two really key things... no, three things:

1: A sub 2:49 is in me, no problem.

2: My Garmin was out by about 10 secs per mile – crucial

3: I need to be specific if I want to PB the marathon.

With the above info I have spent the last week or so recovering and planning ahead. Running has been short and very easy. I have run slower than 8 min miles and kept my HR below 75% at all times. I have also been a little worried re my abductor/ groin. The pain that slowed me in London was from this area and not the legs... worryingly this was the same pain I had in 2009 before my hernia Op. Now of course it may just be fatigue and/or a strain but I am worried that I may have re irritated the hernia!? Running since London has caused some pain in this area despite the easy pace; mmmm.

On a plus side I went to my local running track and ran a load of tests with my Garmin or should I say ‘Garmins’. I have pretty much exclusively used the new 310xt for the last 6 months however this calibration problem really bugged me. I uploaded all the new software updates, reset the GPS and then went the track and ran a mile at 7:30 pace. It was about 80 meters out (10 secs). So I felt a little smug that my suspicion from Paris was confirmed.

I then ran a mile using the Garmin F60 with foot pod. This was out by about 100m BUT importantly I could re calibrate it. This I did and then I ran 3 miles – on at 7:30’s, one at 7’s and one at 6:30’s. It was spot on give or take a meter; perfect!

I then re ran the above with the 310xt. Every single time it was 80 meters short of a mile; annoying.

So, looks like I will now use both Garmins. The F60 will hopefully give me a more accurate pace, the 310 will give me all the lovely GPS data, maps etc that come with this great device. I know it all sounds anal but if data is what makes you tick, you will understand exactly the angle i am coming from. To be honest it is no problem as I used the F6o as a watch anyway. The Garmin foot pod is tiny and unlike the Polar S1 footpod is just not noticeable when on a shoe.

So, with all these issues solved I can now start to get on with training next week in a proper fashion. I have several objectives ahead. I need to re look at May with Comrades removed from the plan but I am looking forward to the Marne et Gondoire on June 13th.

Finally, with an accurate Garmin I am going to start preparing for a new PB at Venice on October 24th. To be honest, I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment