Search This Blog

Sunday 19 June 2011

Post Comrades





Three weeks ago Niandi and myself where in Durban tucking into some well earned food at 'Mug & Bean' after a successful Comrades. My first and Niandi's 13th. Yes, 13th. When I met Niandi in the International Area post race I asked her "why on earth have you done this race 13 times, it's a brute"

Some time later I have been able to look back and reflect and I think I now know. It's a special race! London Marathon but more than double the length with the attraction of that super tough course alternating year after year. Of course the lure of the elusive 'Green Number' is a big attraction.

However, for me, it is not 'just' the are. It is Africa and the people. My memories of the this years pre are start with the Zulu men, the atmosphere of the music at the start, the support en route, the race finish area, the 112 hour cut off and then a wonderful weeks holiday in the Drakensburg and Johannesburg area have left me wanting more. So, although Niandi said no more and I said maybe - it looks like we will be back in 2012 for the 'down' run and my 'back to back' and Niand's 14th. Can't wait!



As I mentioned we had a weeks holiday post the Comrades race. On the Monday we had a 'Champagne Breakfast'. A running friend, David Ross had kindly invited a group of us to his sisters for a post race chat, relax, drink ad eat. It was perfect. Thanks Dave and Family.




From here, Niandi and I travelled for a really wonderful night at the foot of the Drakensberg Mountains. The place was just stunning. Seven individual cottages set in a remote place. Inside the furniture was all handmade and individual. We were the only guests so we had the manager look after us on a one to one level. He joined us for dinner with one of the gentlemen who had made some of the furniture, David. We had a great night of conversation and relaxation while two of the kitchen staff looked after our food needs. A really great night.














The next morning we awoke to a stunning sunrise and a sumptuous breakfast. Today we had a lonf=g journey to Johannesburg but not before a trip into the Drakensburg.





We drove to Giants Castle which is nestled in the mountains. We would have loved the opportunity to walk or even jog but time was against us. We looked around, relaxed with a coffee and a slice of really excellent lemon meringue pie and took some photos of the views.









We then hit the road for the trek to Johannesburg. It is quite a long way and we needed to head above Joburg to a place called Centurion. En route we stopped at the smallest church in the world. A tiny little place with a garden and tea room attached.




A a tea room! More coffee and cake; excellent.

We finally arrived at Niandi's mums about 7pm.. Glad for the journey to be over we settled to an evening of chat, food and wine. I was liking this post Comrades recovery.

We had five full days in the area and we had decided not to run. Niandi wanted time with her mum and had planned a trip to see her father, me, well I wanted to see some sights and get a feel 0f Africa.


I had a really great day at a Lion Park. Managed to play with some 6 month old cups and then go into the reserve to see the wildlife in its environment.









From here I went to 'Croc City'. I guess a bit of a naff name but it did what it said on the tin and I saw the brutes up close. These guys below are 60-70 years old.



A visit to the Vooneker Monument was really enlightening as this explained it great depth how the Boers had travelled up from the Cape and moved into different areas of South Africa. The Monument itself is an impressive structure with a stunning exhibition inside.

















Our holiday came to an end far too quickly. With lover 500 snaps taken and as many memories, I can only touch on our experience. Certainly in 2012 I will be taking what I would consider to be a 'proper' camera instead of my 'snappy' so that I can record those moments in greater quality.





In the following two weeks both Niandi and I have returned to work and we got straight back into training. The first week or at least the first 5 days were simple - run twice a day with a minimum mileage of 8 miles and maximum mileage of 12 all at any easy pace. At the weekend we stretched our legs with a trail run, Niandi did 14 miles and I did 18. It was nice to be on trail again after the 54 miles of hilly roads in South Africa.

This week has been more of the same, however, one or two of the weekly runs have creeped to 10 miles and the weekend runs accumulated to about 22.

Next week we have a road 50k race in Gloucestershire. We both would have prepared a trail race but it will be nice to go and do a race - purely for 'fun'. Let's see what July brings!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment