Search This Blog

Monday 7 June 2010

The Week 6th June




This last week has been fun! It was half term for the schools so I had a wonderful week with my son. Three days were spent in the English Lakes with my mum. We had the most perfect weather... I have spent many a day, weekend or week in this magical place with very cold and wet conditions, so, to get three stunning days was a real treat. We stayed in Grasmere. Ideal for getting around, tea shops and basically chilling out. Running was superb. I had some superb runs on trails around Grasmere Lake, Rydal Water and Ambleside. Perfect!
Training for me was my last week of my adaptation phase. After London Marathon I had some rest, tweaked my training and then re targeted towards some new targets. Next week, the 13th, I run the Marne et Gondoire Marathon. This is organized by a friend and it really is a superb race. A tough marathon as it is a mix of terrain, hills, flat and multiple villages.


The weekend after, the 19th & 20th I have a marathon both days. I am covering the second half of the Lakeland 100 route as a 'reccie'. So, Saturday we will start from the 50 mile checkpoint and run to the 75 mile checkpoint. Sunday we will start at 75 and run to the finish in Coniston and the 100mile checkpoint. Both days will be tough as the terrain in this part of the world is very hilly, rough and potentially dangerous.
One key point of the Lakeland 100 and 50 mile events is navigation. I have therefore been learning how to use memory map, plot routes, load waypoints and use a Garmin for navigation. It has been a real test but I am pleased to say that I have worked my way through it all. It has actually been very rewarding. Using this software and learning the functions of GPS navigation is something that I have wanted to do for a while but I have struggled to find the time. Nothing like an 'event' to get ones head in gear. So I now have an Oregon 450 to guide me on my way and Memory Map software on my PC to view, plot and print maps.

On bank holiday Monday James Watkins ran Chester Marathon and ran a superb race to PB with a 3:04. Super motivated, James has already entered for a late season marathon and a crack at that sub 4 target he desperately wants. Also, we are looking at entering and training for an ultra in the build up to a new marathon PB. Maybe Boddington 50 on July 31st.
One person worth a mention is Jennie Muston. Jennie joined our Lanza training camp and has recently been coached by Liz Yelling. Jennie also ran Chester and won the Ladies race outright with a new PB time of a few seconds just over 3 hours. Great run !!

So a short but fulfilled week. Next week I will have a race report and hopefully some interesting pictures from the Marne et Gondoire Marathon. I am also hoping to interview a French ultra runner called 'Didier'. He is a good friend of Niandi's and a real inspiration, not merely because of his running exploits but because he is also blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment