Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 March 2010

EcoTrail 80km - Paris






1244 people finished the 3rd edition of the 80km EcoTrail de Paris. Now firmly established in the French running calendar this race is very much a jewel in the ultra running crown. Starting on the outskirts of Paris in the Bois d'Arcy runners run 80km (50 miles) through the woods, trails and forests to enter the heart of Paris via the Parc de St Cloud and then run the final 10km along the banks of the Seine to finish by running UP the Eiffel Tower to the finish line on the first floor.

This is a tough course; no doubt. However it is a beautiful course and one that leaves a lasting impression on the mind. I ran the second edition last year with my partner, Niandi. I fell in love with the race and being the 'only' British entrant I wanted to broaden the appeal. I therefore contacted the race organization and became the sole UK agent for the race.

2010 saw a great increase in British entrants. I took along 8 clients but it was apparent at the race start that UK entries had increased. One entrant in particular was 'Ian Sharman'. A very highly respected ultra runner from the UK. He didn't disappoint turning in a superb performance for 4th place overall.

So, the race!

I pre-registered all my entrants making our journey to the race start easy and trouble free. We departed our hotel at 0900 and transferred via RER and then Bus to Trappes. As is always the case with large races, you have an element of waiting. I don't particularly mind this. It is an opportunity to meet people, take in some last minute calories and prepare mentally for the challenge ahead. In regard to friends, the race start was a 'who's who' of French Ultra Running. Our group of friends included three times MDS winner Simone Kaiser, Michel Bach who has run MDS 18 times and is a multiple Spartathlon finisher, Katel Korme (UTMB, Spartathlon, MDS) Didier Benguigui, 6 times 100km French Champion Huguette Jouault and Christine Dadoun. As I said, a who’s who! What is amazing is all these runners race week in and week out. Funnily enough on speaking to all of them on the start line, when I asked 'what's next?'. They all said MDS in 2 weeks..... sometimes you can feel quite inadequate in this company!

Running in our group we had Niandi Carmont, Cat Archer, Mark Hughes, Chris McCarthy, Nick Weston and Ron Shannon and I. Jon Glyde should have been racing but unfortunately had sustained a calf injury in the final prep for the event.


A short race briefing at 1215 and at 1230 we were underway. Some 1500 runners heading along narrow trails. Early on the trail is quite congested. This very much works into you favor as your pace is held back… no need to go flying off when you have some 50 miles ahead.

Of course the front runners go off at a ridiculous pace, the winner crossed the line in 6hrs 8 min! With the first lady in 6hrs 32min (she was actually 5th overall). The first 13 miles are relatively flat, a few hills a thrown and of course one has to contend with mud and other runners.

Nick Weston pushed ahead early on and I stayed with Niandi, Cat & Mark. It is always difficult to run at other peoples pace but it was important to help set a pace that was hopefully sustainable over this distance. I had complete confidence in Niandi controlling things. She has been running ultras for 15 years an she really does know how to set a metronomic pace.

At the first feed it was imperative to refill bladders, take on calories and make sure you had enough to sustain you to the second feed. From here the terrain became increasingly tough.

All trail and relentless hills. Like a rollercoaster at the fair you hid one hill, roll over the top, run, hit another hill and then keep going.

The ‘downs’ never quite seemed in the same quantity as the ‘ups’. In all cases you walked the hills. They are steep, slippery and energy sapping. At 18 miles I ran ahead of Niandi, Cat and Mark and started to settle into ‘my’ pace. Behind Ron and Chris managed their own efforts individually. I had the carrot of Nick running up ahead, however on this type of race you just suddenly can’t start running a minute a mile quicker so I was resided to the fact that I would see him at the Eiffel Tower unless he blew up in the latter stages. From here on in I found space and started to catch all the early ‘rabbits’. In actual fact, from mile 20 to the finish I think I only had 4 people come past me, whereas I lost count of the runners I passed.


The second feed was ages away. The torrential rain that had fallen during the previous night making the trail ‘sticky’ had gone, the sun was out and the temperatures were pretty warm. I was sweating heavily. At mile 28 I had gone through 4 liters of water and 8 ‘Nuun’ tablets. Energy wise I had taken a gel every 3 miles. I wasn’t lacking energy but I was thirsty…. Being a heavy sweater I need my electrolytes. At this point I was a little worried. I knew the feed was at mile 33, therefore I still had 5 miles to go which equated to roughly 50 mins. I made the feed but I had definitely dipped into my reserves. I refilled my bladder, took on some extra calories in the form of cake. Had a coffee and then pushed on.

To be honest this feed station is a great mental boost. You are over halfway with 17 miles to go. Yes it’s still a long way but you can adapt and take many positives. The trail continued to challenge. I actually looked forward to the hills. My calf was playing up and the walking up allowed me to put it into s a stretch and relieve the pressure on it. As soon as I crested the tops and I would settle back into my pace keeping my steps short and my cadence high.


We entered the Observatoire de Meudon and this provided some absolutely stunning views over Paris. The Eiffel Tower and Sacre Coeur glowed in the distance. We entered a checkpoint. Here we had a kit check and we had to apply our reflective arm bands to our arms.

Night came and with it our head torches. I was now pretty much running alone. I love this part of the race. Dark, dense, forests and just a beam of light illuminating the way. The course is marked with small yellow or white reflective strips. You move your head, catch a reflection and follow…. The third feed station was at 39 miles and in the middle of race course. We had to follow the barriers and then suddenly had a water trough to climb over. I lifted my leg and ‘bang’! – Cramp. My right leg outstretched like it had two wooden splints at the side of it. I gave it a minute or two, stretched, somehow managed to get over the water trough and within a mile I was in the feed station. More water to my bladder, more cake and this time a few cups of coke. I walked out of the feed eating. It seemed logical to walk while eating instead of standing. I had 10 miles to go and the finish was pulling me in.

I was now in the Parc de St Cloud. I had one other runner for company and we took it in turn leading the way. I finally came to the final feed at the ‘Belvedere’ in the Parc de St Cloud. I was alone. The feed was empty and suddenly I thought to myself that I must be a fair way up the field. Last year when I entered this station with Niandi we had at least 50 people with us. I took an espresso, a cup of water, a piece of cake and off I went. I love this bit. When I am in Paris this is my daily run… a quick decent to the Seine and then approximately 6 miles along its banks to the Eiffel Tower.

The Tower was glowing and pulsing in the distance. Legs were killing now. My left calf was in and out of cramp and my quads were shattered. Agony! But I wasn’t going to walk. I could taste the finish and I wanted sub 9 hours. The heavens opened. Torrential rain hit us and continued to fall. I didn’t waste energy running around puddles I just ploughed through them. At the ‘Pont de Sevres’ we crossed the Seine, ran under a bridge and then ran through the Parc Ile St Germain. We exited the Parc at the Pont de Issy, crossed the road and then we were back on the banks of the Seine. A marshal was suddenly shouting 1 km to go. I upped my pace and then suddenly I was being redirected. Oh no, the course had been changed from last year and instead of just running to the tower I was now crossing another bridge to run down an Island in the middle of the Seine…. 1km my arse I thought. This is going to be 3 km’s. It was!!! Finally the steps that took me from the Seine, up to the main road, across the crossings, through the marquee and then I entered the doorway to the Eiffel Tower. Head down I started to run, step after step. I don’t know how many steps to the finish. Needless to say it was enough. I crossed the line in 8hrs 52min in 124th place.

It is such a special race. The opportunity to run trail in Paris, run along the Seine and finish at what has to be the best finish line in the world is a truly memorable experience. It was my 2nd time and the experience was not diminished. Actually, I enjoyed it more.

I entered the marquee. Nick was waiting. He had a superb run crossing the line in 8hrs 13min for 71st place. We could hardly move. Our legs were locked with fatigue. Cat Archer was the next in in 9hrs 23min for 244th place. Niandi and Mark had run together and finished in 9hrs 34min for 292 place and 294 place respectively. Ron finished in 9hrs 54m for 362 place and Chris crossed the line with ‘yeeha’ in 10hrs 09 min for 449 place.

Stunning race

Stunning course

Great friends

Great results

An experience to be cherished.

Will I be back…? Well, of course! 2011 entries will be available through ‘runwild runfree’. We are the sole UK agent, so, if you fancy a challenge and an experience of a lifetime in 2011, the EcoTrail de Paris is for you. If you feel 80km may be too far, don’t worry, you can always enter the 50k!


Photos available at : http://picasaweb.google.com/runwild.runfree.uk/EcoTrail2010

No comments:

Post a Comment